Monday, March 23, 2009

Shepard's Pie

I make mine a little differently than any other recipe I've seen. It is chocked full of veggies and very filling.

Mashed Potato Topping:
6 medium potatoes
½ a stick of butter
Enough milk or cream to get the consistency you like
1 teaspoon ground sage
salt and pepper to taste

Diced all potatoes and add to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil, cook until fork tender. Drain and add the rest of the ingredients till you receive the texture you like.

Veggie Filling:
1 lb. of ground beef, I like to use lean for this recipe
1 med. onion, diced
2 small or 1 large carrot, very finely diced
2 stalks celery, very finely diced
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 cup frozen corn, you can use fresh if you prefer
2½ cups beef stock, cut back if you like less gravy
½ cup milk, or cream
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. Brown ground beef, I like to cook my onion, carrots and celery at the same time. That is why I like lean beef for this.
2. Add frozen veggies, cook 5 min. until the color comes back and veggies start to get a little brown, especially corn.
3. Add all seasonings, stir to combine.
4. Add beef stock holding out 2 tablespoons in a small bowl. Add milk and bring to a boil.
5. Add cornstarch to beef stock and mix well. Add to veggie and beef mixture.
6. Place in casserole dish, I use one that is 2 quarts and has high sides.
7. Cover with layer of mashed potatoes and place in 350° oven.
8. Cook until filling is bubbling and potatoes start to form a slight crust on top, about 20 to 30 min. in my oven.

Enjoy♥

The sage in the potatoes were actually an accident that tasted great! This is a great way to eat veggies because the gravy is so good even I gobble them up without a second thought.

1 comment:

  1. this looks wonderful, I bet it would be good with turkey as well!

    ReplyDelete