Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Keeping Cheese fresh longer!


Ahhh... Cheese! How I love it so! One thing I have never liked is how fast it seems to go south. I have learned is it can actually be cheaper buying the more expensive ingredients. One of them being Parmesan cheese. It tastes so much better and it lasts for months for me!

I take my block of cheese and wrap it in a paper towel, making sure that no cheese can touch the plastic bag. Put it in a ziplock (or off-brand, that's what I do) and park it in the fridge. It will last a long time. Every so often change out the paper towel, if it ever starts to feel damp you don't want that sitting around your cheese. That's it! So simple to do and I kid you not that we have had a nice chunk of Parmesan last over 3 months! We don't how long it could have lasted because we ate it.

We do cheddar and all our other cheese the same. Another tip I have is use block cheese and grate it yourself. They put stuff (I'm not sure what) around cheese to make sure it doesn't clump together. It tastes a lot better and it doesn't take long to grate a little bit of cheese. I've found that it melts a lot better too.

Fore more great works for me Wednesday tips visit We Are THAT Family.

5 comments:

  1. I wrap mine in waxed paper and foil. Block Parmesan is definitely tastier than shelf-stable cans of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me I read somewhere recently that cheese really doesn't like being closely wrapped in plastic (I think it said it made it sweat!). So it makes sense that your cheese is lasting longer when you wrap it in a paper towel. Now if I can only remember to do this :) Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this seems easy enough and i do hate buying pre shredded cheese. good idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of wrapping the cheese in papertowel first -- good idea!!

    Already shredded cheese does have a nice coating of something along the lines of cornstarch (but I'm sure it has a lot more chemicals in it.) I usually slice, shred and grate my own cheese -- if I'm doing a lot of cheese, I use the mini sized cuisinart - all of the cheese is crumbly, not in nice perfect strands, but when it melts, no one sees it anyway :)

    This was an excellent tip!

    My WFMW post this week is about keeping drinks cold.
    Have a great week!
    Kristin (The Goat)

    ReplyDelete