This is a great recipe! I'm not a huge fan of some of the ingredients but the first time I tasted the filling I had nothing but love for it. The number of egg rolls you get out of this will vary. I get 16-20.
- 1 (15oz) package of Yellow Rice
- 1 lb. Ground Beef or Ground Beef Mix
- 1 (15oz.) can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes (drain some liquid off)
- 1 cup Shredded Montery Jack Cheese
- 6 Green Onion, finely chopped
- 1 pkg. Taco Seasoning (or make your own)
- 1 pkg. Egg Roll wrappers (no size given because I've seen it vary by brand)
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for frying (you can deep fry, I shallow fried my last batch)
- Cook rice according to package directions, fluff with fork, set aside and let it cool.
- Brown your ground beef (or my ground beef mix, I'll give more info on Works for me Wednesday). Add taco seasoning according to directions, add stewed tomatoes. I like to break up my tomatoes a little more and take out the core pieces.
- Add ground beef mixture, beans, green onion, and cheese to rice. Be sure to distribute it evenly, the rice likes to clump.
- Use 1/4 to 1/3 cup mixture in center of each egg roll wrapper. I prefer 1/4, these are very filling!. I turn the egg roll wrapper like a diamond shape, I want one of the points facing me. I put my mixture in and fold over the center trying to tuck the meat into a more compact "log." Then I fold the right and left sides in, brush a little egg wash in the last point and roll up. The egg acts as your glue. It seems hard but after the first few you get into a rhythm and it goes quickly. There is a diagram on the egg roll wrapper that is very helpful.
- At this point you can freeze for later or fry them up, heating your oil to 350 degrees. I'm going to experiment with baking them as well. If you freeze them let them thaw in the refrigerator before frying.
I hope I didn't leave anything out it is 4 am here and I haven't been to sleep yet. Speaking of sleep if anyone knows ways to make your body understand when it is time to sleep let me know!