Wednesday, February 18, 2009

OAMC for Smaller Families or those with Small Children



OAMC or Once a Month Cooking can be a real chore when there aren't many people to feed. You might only have two adults and a couple of small children that don't have big appetites. That is where my very favorite OAMC tool comes into play.



A loaf pan! First a normal recipe can be split three times! That itself is a great savings. But there aren't leftovers that will turn into science projects in the fridge. Plus your portion control is automatically built in. How many times have you made a big pan of lasagna so you would have some leftovers, and someone went back more times that they should? It's a common occurrence in this house.

Right now I'm using the smallest loaf pans I could find which happen to be the disposable kind. I know it isn't the greenest option but you can reuse them! When my family grows or the summer hits and Becca is here, I'll go to a normal loaf pan which is bigger. That might be the better option for you to start out with.

This works for me! For more great tips visit Rocks in My Dryer!

4 comments:

  1. Loaf pans are a great idea for dividing OAMC meals! I use an 8"x8" square pan and the frozen meals stack nicely. It's also a nice size for dinner and small lunch the next day for our small family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That is a good idea. I never thought of that. Maybe if I start using those then the number on my scale will quit going up. Craziest thing. Every time I step on it it seems to be a bit higher. I think it might be broken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! I need to go on a quest for little loaf pans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about using loaf pans to store dinners. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete